Re: Kaffeine crashes

On Sunday 23 December 2007 18:19, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Kaffeine crashes here with the following message:
>
> $ kaffeine
> 11
> $ *** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
> KCrash: Application 'kaffeine' crashing...
> system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
> system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
> system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
> system call fstat: Bad file descriptor
>
> $
>
> I am using:
>
> $ rpm -qi kaffeine
> Name        : kaffeine                     Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version     : 0.8.5                             Vendor: Fedora Project
> Release     : 5.fc8                         Build Date: Tue 30 Oct
> 2007 02:18:24 PM WET
> Install Date: Sun 23 Dec 2007 04:51:32 PM WET      Build Host:
> xenbuilder4.fedora.phx.redhat.com
> Group       : Applications/Multimedia       Source RPM:
> kaffeine-0.8.5-5.fc8.src.rpm
> Size        : 5934935                          License: GPLv2+
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 30 Oct 2007 08:13:55 PM WET, Key ID
> b44269d04f2a6fd2 Packager    : Fedora Project
> URL         : http://kaffeine.sourceforge.net/
> Summary     : Xine-based media player
> Description :
> Kaffeine is a xine-based media player for KDE.  It plays back CDs,
> and VCDs, and can decode all (local or streamed) multimedia formats
> supported by xine-lib.
> Additionally, Kaffeine is fully integrated in KDE, it supports drag
> and drop and provides an editable playlist, a bookmark system, a
> Konqueror plugin, OSD and much more.
> $
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

Hi Paul. Is this the only audio app that you have problems with on Fedora 8?

I removed pulseaudio audio from F8, as my sound apps stopped working, whereas
pre piklseaudio no problems.
yum remove alsa-plugin-pulseaudio  (plugin may be plugins)

That will also remove the KDE component for pulseaudio IIRC.

Now see if Kaffeine works again.

You can always re-install alsa-plugin/s-pulseaudio at a later time, and figure
out how it works, not forgetting to re-install the KDE component of
pulseaudio. I intend to do this, as pulseaudio seems interesting, and you can
set volume levels for various sound apps that are using the soundcard.

At the moment though, all I want is the sound to work, as it always has, and
pulseaudio has put a spanner in the works.

I think "Incoming" is the right word here, as I'm bound to receive some flac
in suggesting dumping pulseaudio.

All the best.

Nigel.