Re: dual booting fc6, f8

On Sunday 23 December 2007, John Summerfield wrote:
[...]
>When you install a new kernel, and this applies to rpm-based systems and
>to deb-based system, _something_ automatically updates the grub's
>menu.lst (the "correct" name for the file containing the menu) for you.
>
>the details differ between vendors, but it can only work if the system
>you're running on can see where is kernels are, and importantly, where
>the menu is.
>
>My and large, this makes use of a single menu for all Linuxes (and maybe
>  other *xes) impractical.
>
>What I do is create a menu for each, each as if it's the only OS on the
>computer.
>
>Here is a fragment from an actual system i have that's configured to
>boot from two drives:
>
>title Scientific Linux SL (2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5
>         module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen ro
>root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>         module /initrd-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen.img
>         savedefault
>title Other
>         rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>         chainloader +1
>         savedefault
>[root@numbat ~]#
>
>The "other" stanza boots the boot record from the _first partition_ on
>the second disk. More usual is booting the MBR:
>
>title Other
>         rootnoverify (hd1)
>         chainloader +1
>
>the result is that you can switch between different bootloaders on
>different drives. It worked for a drive on which I installed two RHEL5
>betas, SLES10 and opensuse10, it worked years ago when I had Darwin
>installed (before Macintels), and I would expect it to work for every
>disk the BIOS can see.
>
>Normally I'd link to every bootable system from every bootable system.
>
>For more details
>pinfo grub

All very good advice John, and I have done it in the past, keeping FC2
bootable while I was getting FC6 whipped into my version, and good IF the
bios can see ALL drives.  The bios here can only see ide drives, and of the
two, only one has a /boot partition, the first ide drive.

Thanks, and have a Very Merry Christmas, John.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)