Re: cnn flash video

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 18:02 -0500, David Boles wrote:
> Look at the numbers here:
>
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
>
> I appears that 'they' just missed 3.3% of the Computer users. :-)
>
> The solution? Make Linux more popular.

Being more popular isn't always the definition of successful.  I tend to
believe more in the notion that it does what it's supposed to do, for
those using it.  Though it does help when trying to convince some web
sites that they need to be more supportive of all browsers, rather than
just MSIE.

Web statistics are like opinions, little proof of very much, and they
depend on what drew them there.  My monthly stats, seem a bit higher,
and it's not particularly a Linux-centric site.  My logging of search
queries, and supposedly most popular pages seems to have an average
spread of topics, to my eye.

Operating Systems  Hits  Percent
Windows           27355  81.7 %
Linux              2862   8.5 %
Macintosh          2427   7.2 %
Unknown             753   2.2 %
AmigaOS              38   0.1 %
BSD                   6   0 %
Symbian OS            5   0 %
WebTV                 4   0 %

I've seen it creep up a bit, over time.  But the most significant thing
I'd noticed was the downward trend against MSIE.  I dropped down quite
some time ago, and has stayed consistently down.  When others reckoned
MSIE was still 80-90%, my stats had it about 60%.

Browsers   Hits  Percent
MSIE      18824  56.2 %
Firefox   10753  32.1 %
Safari     1565   4.6 %
Mozilla     973   2.9 %
Opera       862   2.5 %
Unknown     186   0.5 %
Konqueror    85   0.2 %
Netscape     70   0.2 %
iBrowse      38   0.1 %
Camino       24   0 %
Others       70   0.2 %

Every now and then it's amusing to see a Commodore 64 in the stats.  ;-)

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.