Re: cnn flash video

to, 2007-12-20 kello 11:41 -0500, David Boles kirjoitti:

<snip>
> It is the installing part that works. KDE/GNOME does not matter here. I
> use GNOME and it worked for me.

Okay, that's what I thought. In principle I have the necessary packages
installed but apparently the installation went amiss somehow.

> >> As for the java applet on the bank site? Icedtea, the java included with
> >> Fedora, is not yet as good as it will be and sometimes does not work.
> >> For that reason I use the Java that Sun provides because there are
> >> several places where it does not work for me.
> >>
> > I didn't write a word about bank site java applets. - I've also noticed
> > that IcedTea Java doesn't work in all cases - but it is the first Java
> > plugin that works at all in my box when *64-bit* Firefox is used.
> >> - ----------------------------------------
> >>

> This 'reply' is a mixture of yours and another. Which was my fault and a
> poor practice.  Use what applies.  ;-)

I mentioned java just to make sure. Certainly I used what applied to me.
> >> Now all of this above will *not* run the Live Video feeds. That requires
> >> another plugin and there is no version for Linux of it.
> >>
> > Well, that explains the "UNSUPPORTED PLATFORM ERROR" message.
> >> - ----------------------------------------
> >>
> >> As for "criticizing me"? That was because you immediately jumped to the
> >> conclusion that both CNN and the bank site were deliberately excluding
> >> you, your system, and your choice of Linux as your OS. Which is
> >> obviously not true. FUD. Fear, uncertainty and doubt.
> >>
> > I know what FUD means. Jumping to conclusions? I didn't say they _are_
> > excluding me, my system and my choice of OS. I said it made me *think*
> > along those lines. Who is jumping to conclusions?
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear%2C_uncertainty_and_doubt
> >>
> >> paranoia - a tendency on the part of an individual or group toward
> >> excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others
> >>
> >> http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/paranoia
> >>
> > I also know what paranoia means. You certainly know the proverb about
> > "pot calling the kettle black"?
>

> Sure do.
>

> >> I am sorry about the "criticizing me". An over reaction perhaps.
> >> - --
> >>
> > Perhaps. I think you saw more in my post than was really there. However,
> > if this thread has helped anyone to get their flash plugin work, it has
> > served its purpose. Thank you for providing the needed links.
>

> I said I was sorry. Want another one? I'm more than sorry. Now why I
> "criticizing me" you.

Sorry for not acknowledging your apology. Duly noted now...
> CNN upgraded their site about 4-5 months ago. While it was in beta
> everything was fine. When it went gold the person(s) that wrote it did
> not allow for the Linux/Firefox combo in the browser query so it stopped
> working. Many, and I do mean many, on this list threaten everything up
> to but not including bodily harm to CNN for discriminating against Linux
> (which mean *me*). I, and I am sure others, emailed them and politely
> pointed out the problem. BTW - The new site would not work with Opera on
> Windows, Mac, or Linux. Not at all. I received a nice - 'Opps-sorry
> about that' email the same day. It was fixed over the weekend by
> Saturday morning. Many of the most vocal did not even notice until
> Monday. Which they promptly labeled a major 'victory for Linux!'  ;-)

If I'm not mistaken, I also wrote them a few months ago and CNN improved
"their ways" almost overnight. I don't think my protest had much effect
- other than it was one of many written to them at the time.
> Now let us be friends? And have a nice day.
> - --

Sure. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would butt in and explain
what's what with CNN. I may even have been a bit provocative in order to
achieve that end. It worked ;)

>   David

And a nice day to you, too.

Antti