Re: Sound issue with KDEand Gcompris/Childsplay

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 00:18 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> >       So the sound is working, but I still don't know how!
> I have you tried dinking with the mixer settings?? Is this a sound
> card
> or an on-the-motherboard chipset?
It's a PCI card Ensoniq ES1371 [Audio PCI-97] (rev 0.2). I'll try
googling for info on it now.  When the box fist got going earlier this
year, the kids wanted to start using it straight away so the sound got
forgotten.
> Some older sound cards needed to use
> an IRQ like 9. Turning off devices like a network card, that may be
> hogging the IRQ might work. Those older PII's were plug-in-play,
> right?
This one is.
> There's an RPM for them, but I forget the name. I've been in your
> shoes
> with older machines. It can be fun ferreting out the causes.
It is fun - just have to balance with (or justify as) work.
> But I found
> it usually to be an IRQ issue. Using the bios setting to Plug And Play
> Aware works at times, too. If I can recall more, I'll be sure to get
> back to you. Trouble shooting with a shotgun, Ric

I'll poke around and have a look.  Thanks.

--
Regards
Simon