Re: kde power/battery applet gone. Suspend key combination disappeared.

On Dec 17, 2007 2:11 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
 The kicker
> > panel no longer has a battery power indicator.  In the list of
> > applets, I don't find one called battery monitor or such.  As far as I
> > can tell, that was in kdebase before, but not now.  Did it move to a
> > new package?  I can confirm that the acpi subsystem of the kernel is
> > working because:

> * kpowersave (preferred)
> * klaptop (from kdeutils-extras), deprecated, use at own risk
>
> The upgrade likely reset permissions.  If you still want to use the klaptop
> daemon, you'll need to goto KControl -> Power Control and redo the setup.
>
> -- Rex

Thanks. For others that have this question, here is the answer.

I did have kdeutils-extras installed.  While running kcontrol->power
control, I found a config menu and when I tried to apply changes, an
error popped up saying my SystemTray applet had died and it had to be
restarted in order to display the battery status.  After restarting
the System Tray applet, I do see the battery monitor.

Which monitor, however, klaptop or kpowersave?

To use kpowersave, my best guess is to remove kdeutils-extras RPM (to
make sure klaptopdaemon not available anymore) and install rpm for
kpowersave.  Gives nice icon in system tray.  So it seems this is a
good result.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science