kde power/battery applet gone. Suspend key combination disappeared.

On an F8 system that was upgraded from F7, I'm running KDE.  I enabled
the kde update repository from kde-redhat project
http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

Last week, yum update installed a new package,  kdebase-3.5.8-9.fc8.
I do not know if that particular package came from the fedora 8 update
repository or the kde-redhat system because yum-updatesd grabbed it
overnight.

Since then, I notice two weird things and need some help.  The kicker
panel no longer has a battery power indicator.  In the list of
applets, I don't find one called battery monitor or such.  As far as I
can tell, that was in kdebase before, but not now.  Did it move to a
new package?  I can confirm that the acpi subsystem of the kernel is
working because:

$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/*
alarm:                   780 mAh
present:                 yes
design capacity:         7800 mAh
last full capacity:      6959 mAh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          11100 mV
design capacity warning: 780 mAh
design capacity low:     236 mAh
capacity granularity 1:  78 mAh
capacity granularity 2:  78 mAh
model number:            DELL YD6236
serial number:           1977
battery type:            LION
OEM info:                SMP
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          charged
present rate:            1 mA
remaining capacity:      7800 mAh
present voltage:         12959 mV

The second weird thing is that the key combination Fn-Esc used to
cause suspend-to-ram (The Esc key has "Stand by" written in blue, the
same color as the Fn key. Know what I mean?)  Now it does nothing.  I
can suspend by clicking the KDE log out button and choosing suspend.
But I can't see where Fn-Esc is supposed to be configured.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science