Re: Simple HowTo

Gene Poole wrote:

Craig:
I'm not raising up against RPM packaging.  What I am concerned about is the
'migration' to a 'C:' drive in Linux.  Let me explain:
   Since you aren't telling me ahead of time where and how much space Java,
   Tomcat, or Apache is going to need, I have no choice but to make a very
   large '/' (root) partition which is the same as a 'C:' drive.  Except
   with M$, I can tell it to install on the 'D:' or 'E:' drive if I have
   one.
   Normally, since I haven't seen much go into /usr/local or /opt in the
   past (RH8-9, FC1-4), I usually make them around 512 MB in size.
   But now without any warning or documentation I may need a /usr/local or
   /opt of maybe 2-GB.

Who says whether you have to have a /usr/local partition or not? It's a point in the filesystem space. It's your choice whether it shares /usr space or not.

It could also be a network mount (I used to mount an NFS export from another host on /usr/local), or even (maybe for testing stuff) a partition on a USB disk.

Les:
I use the standard 'sudo yum update' today without problems.
What I have learned is that , unless it was installed with a RPM package (I
download the Apache, Tomcat, and Java binaries as tar.gz packages), it
doesn't get updated.

Of course. How would Yum know where you got that stuff.

Seems you have some reading to do, to get up to speed. Check your local bookshop for a book-with-DVD. Doesn't matter a lot whether it's the latest (but perhaps no older than, say, Fedora Core 6), most of the information should be correct or close.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait