Re: Simple HowTo

Gene Poole wrote:

both apache and tomcat are part of Fedora packaging and they are
installed in the places where the packagers intended. If you decide to
compile your own packages from source and not use the packages as
provided by the distribution, you are taking it entirely into your own
hands and thereby rendering the reasoned placement moot.

By convention, packages installed from source are placed in /usr/local,
probably for very good reasons (i.e. no chance of tainting other
necessary packages)

This sounds like, going forward, I'll have less to say about where I place
software than with M$!

If you want to use any packaged (rpm) programs you have to make sure that locally compiled programs don't conflict, so /usr/local works for that - and is the default for most source installs.

Also, if they are going to do that then the documentation needs to tell me
ahead of time what file systems need how much space since we divide up the
hard disk before installing software.

I feel like I'm going backwards - use the provided RPM or else!

Or else it's your responsibility to keep it out of the way of the packaged versions and rebuild it yourself every time it needs an update. There are still some things where this is worth the trouble, but I don't think apache and tomcat would be. What do you get with your own build that isn't in the RPM version?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx