Re: Simple HowTo

Craig White wrote:

> both apache and tomcat are part of Fedora packaging and they are
> installed in the places where the packagers intended. If you decide to
> compile your own packages from source and not use the packages as
> provided by the distribution, you are taking it entirely into your own
> hands and thereby rendering the reasoned placement moot.
>
> By convention, packages installed from source are placed in /usr/local,
> probably for very good reasons (i.e. no chance of tainting other
> necessary packages)
>
> Craig

This sounds like, going forward, I'll have less to say about where I place
software than with M$!

Also, if they are going to do that then the documentation needs to tell me
ahead of time what file systems need how much space since we divide up the
hard disk before installing software.

I feel like I'm going backwards - use the provided RPM or else!

Thanks,
Gene Poole
gene.poole@xxxxxxxxx