Re: Cups problem

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
>> Now, just to show you how absurd your concept is of grep enabled=1 is...
>> This was the contents of his /etc/yum.repos.d...
>> atrpms.repo
>> city-fan.org.repo
>
> Please, no more incredibly long lists.
> OK, he has a lot of files in yum.repos.d .
> I believe you.
>
> However, it doesn't matter if he has a million files there.
> All that matters is how many are enabled (with "enabled=1").
> As far as I can see, you never mentioned this rather important point.
>
>> As I said, you admitted you didn't follow the thread, gave minimal
>> thought to the issue of his /etc/yum.repos.d condition but feel
>> competent to give opinions.
>
> The title of the thread is "Cups problem".
> I doubt if the OP's cups problem has anything to do with yum.repos.d .
> He has cupsd running, but can't see localhost:631 .

You missed the part where he didn't have cupsd running, and didn't
have the cups RPM installed. You also missed all the trouble he had
installing the cups RPM. You also missed the messed up /etc/hosts
file, so localhost may not have been 127.0.0.1.

> As I said, the solution to the problem is almost certainly very simple,
> and probably obvious on looking at /var/log/cups/error_log .
>
> I'm entitled to my opinion; you are entitled to yours.
> But I wish you and the OP would learn to trim your postings.
> One does not need to know everything that has happened since 1066
> in order to understand that someone has got something wrong in Iraq.

Considering all the problems the OP had, there is a lot of history
that is important here. Because of the repo setup, there were enough
problems just getting the cups RPM installed. (He had removed it
using rpm --force.) So even though the title says Cups problem,
there are a lot of other things involved as well. Even if it were a
simple matter to gets CUPS running at this point, if the other
problems are not fixed as well, then there will be more problems in
the future. Knowing something has gone wrong is easy. Fixing it so
that it stays fixed is something else. Fixing the visible problem,
without doing anything about the underlying causes of the problem
will often cause worse problems in the long run.

Mikkel