Re: Cups problem

david walcroft wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Looks like you have it installed (finally).  Is it running?
>>
>> /sbin/service cups status
>>
>> It will tell you if the service is running or not.  If it is not, start
>> it via:
>>
>> /sbin/service cups start
>>
>> Let us know what happens with each.
>>

> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo service cups status
> cupsd (pid 26999) is running...
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo /sbin/service cups start
> Starting cups:
> [david@reddwarf ~]$
> [david@reddwarf ~]$ sudo service cups start
> Starting cups:
> [david@reddwarf ~]$
>
>  Sorry to take so long.

David, if you blindly start executing commands with no regard for what
they do, you are going to get into trouble.  Please take the time to
understand what is happening, and please, please, please READ THE OUTPUT
OF THE COMMANDS and understand what they mean!

Why would you want to "start" cups if "cupsd (pid 26999) is running..."?

Lucky for you, it probably noticed that it is already running, therefore
 it didn't try and start a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th, or, ...) copy of it!

common sense!  This is not rocket science!  (yeah, I know, it is
Computer Science.)  If you had any doubts, you could have read "man
service" to see what the service command does, and maybe gain some
understanding of it.

Second off, develop a SINGLE PLAN of attack for your problem, and adhere
to it until you problem is solved.  Don't start doing 4 different things
at once just because 4 different people are giving you slightly
different advice and suggestions.  Decide which ONE can help you the
best and start there.  Don't change until that line of attack can help
you out no more.  You will end up worse off than where you are now if
the advice starts to conflict with each other!

>  david

Good luck, and please learn from the advice that's being sent your way!
If you continue to do things blindly, willie nillie, without learning,
you will be sorry.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx