Re: F8 install failure at xinit

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 15 December 2007, David Boles wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> On Saturday 15 December 2007, David Boles wrote:
>>>
>>> Regarding that, no.  I checked the boxes, gave it good network settings
>>> all pointing at my DD-WRT router, and that all Just Worked(TM).
>> Gene, this is on the screen where it says something like Desktop Install
>> (default) with a check box for Development, and a check box for Web
>> Server(?) not sure exactly what it says there. At the bottom is the
>> option to 'customize now or later'. In the middle is a section with a
>> check box that offers you to add repos. As many as you would like. Here
>> is where you would do that. But you need to first get the site name
>> <ftp://somename.com> along with the path to the proper place for the
>> files in the 'everything' folder data for Anaconda to find them.
>>
>> This is what I was referring to when I said that I doubted that most
>> would be prepared to do this.
>>
>> Good luck.
>> --
>>

>>  David
>
> I think that is a pretty good description David.  I didn't fill in for any
> extra's because I wasn't prepared with a list of url's and without a lot of
> prep, I doubt too many would be.
>
> Now, update in F8 install #2 now that I've had a cuppa or 2.
>
> As above I gave it network params all pointed at my dd-wrt box and it did
> quite a bit of traffic over it getting ready for the install, which at 1537
> packages, was error free.  However, on the reboot, the sata drive I had just
> installed it all on was invisible, so it rebooted back to FC6 on the ide
> drives.  At this point I'm inclined to 'mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/bootf8'
> and see whats there, moving the kernel and initrd back to /dev/hda1 (/boot),
> and copy the new grub.conf's contents to another stanza in the one
> on /dev/hda1 and see if that will work.
>
> Mounted, and an ls shows:
> [root@coyote drivers]# ls /mnt/bootf8
> config-2.6.23.1-42.fc8  grub  initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img  lost+found
> System.map-2.6.23.1-42.fc8  vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8
>
> and a cat of /mnt/bootf8/grub/grub.conf:
> -------------
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 rhgb
> quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
> title Other
>         rootnoverify (hd1,1)
>         chainloader +1
>
> Is this a feasable plan of attack?  What do I do with the 'root (hd0,0)' or
> does that count since this is grub, and the kernel & initrd have yet to be
> loaded, screwing with the device.map in /boot/grub?
>
> Or, do I edit my current /boot/grub/device.map to place hd0 as /dev/sda & hd1
> [...]

I am not exactly clear as to what you are doing.

Two questions. I gather that this new drive is in the boot list of the
BIOS? Is it before the drive with FC-6?  The one that boots?

Floppy, CD, HD, ??

And where did you tell Anaconda to but the Grub starter code? Which
might be your problem. The Grub that is in the MBR on the first bootablr
device is pointed at the file on  the HD. The menu.lst is just that a
menu that points to various drives/sectors.

Is this your first multi-boot install? That is what you are trying to do
correct?

It is not difficult but hmm..  different.  ;-)

- --

  David