Re: F8 install failure at xinit

On Saturday 15 December 2007, David Boles wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Saturday 15 December 2007, David Boles wrote:
>>
>> Regarding that, no.  I checked the boxes, gave it good network settings
>> all pointing at my DD-WRT router, and that all Just Worked(TM).
>
>Gene, this is on the screen where it says something like Desktop Install
>(default) with a check box for Development, and a check box for Web
>Server(?) not sure exactly what it says there. At the bottom is the
>option to 'customize now or later'. In the middle is a section with a
>check box that offers you to add repos. As many as you would like. Here
>is where you would do that. But you need to first get the site name
><ftp://somename.com> along with the path to the proper place for the
>files in the 'everything' folder data for Anaconda to find them.
>
>This is what I was referring to when I said that I doubted that most
>would be prepared to do this.
>
>Good luck.
>--
>

>  David

I think that is a pretty good description David.  I didn't fill in for any
extra's because I wasn't prepared with a list of url's and without a lot of
prep, I doubt too many would be.

Now, update in F8 install #2 now that I've had a cuppa or 2.

As above I gave it network params all pointed at my dd-wrt box and it did
quite a bit of traffic over it getting ready for the install, which at 1537
packages, was error free.  However, on the reboot, the sata drive I had just
installed it all on was invisible, so it rebooted back to FC6 on the ide
drives.  At this point I'm inclined to 'mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/bootf8'
and see whats there, moving the kernel and initrd back to /dev/hda1 (/boot),
and copy the new grub.conf's contents to another stanza in the one
on /dev/hda1 and see if that will work.

Mounted, and an ls shows:
[root@coyote drivers]# ls /mnt/bootf8
config-2.6.23.1-42.fc8  grub  initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img  lost+found
System.map-2.6.23.1-42.fc8  vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8

and a cat of /mnt/bootf8/grub/grub.conf:
-------------
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
title Other
        rootnoverify (hd1,1)
        chainloader +1

Is this a feasable plan of attack?  What do I do with the 'root (hd0,0)' or
does that count since this is grub, and the kernel & initrd have yet to be
loaded, screwing with the device.map in /boot/grub?

Or, do I edit my current /boot/grub/device.map to place hd0 as /dev/sda & hd1
as sdb as shown in the new device.map written during the install?  Inquiring
minds want to know. :)

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene