Re: Why cant I make my laptop ethernet cards recognise 10Mbs?

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 02:13:33AM +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 08:24 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> > none of the cable is going to survive long outdoors
>
> For outdoor use you'd either use something designed for the purpose, or
> protect is using something designed for outdoors (e.g. run it through
> conduit).  Sun, rain, wind, grit, and birds, all of them will be harsh
> on cabling.

.... but in reality ordinary cable will survive some years outdoors.

I had some old-fashioned "thin ethernet" running out of the window and
over the flat roof of my garage at my old house for several years. I
removed it when we moved house and it was in perfectly serviceable
condition still.

Obviously if the cable is likely to sustain mechanical damage it needs
protecting but otherwise it'll last outside for quite a long time
before you have any problems.  If there's a choice dark colours are
likely to be better in a very sun-exposed position than light colours.

--
Chris Green