Re: Why cant I make my laptop ethernet cards recognise 10Mbs?

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 15:32 -0500, William Hooper wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2007 3:07 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [snip]
> >        First your talking about ethernet cards. They usually mate with a
> > standard cable which in the USA we call it a category 5 cable available
> > everywhere. It is white and has plastic large telephone connector on it,
> > or you buy an expensive crimper and put the connectors on as you like.
>
> Wow.  And I thought all of these red, blue, yellow, green, gray, etc.
> cables I have were category 5 cable, too.  Please stop talking now,
> Karl, you obviously didn't do the research that I suggested previously
> so that we could talk about things using the proper terms.  The color
> of the cable and what ends it has on it say absolutely nothing about
> the electrical characteristics of the cable.
>
> >      The problem seemed to be the cable was wrong and you got no
> > Internet. But I gather on another laptop you DO get the Internet.
>
> Again, you are the only one talking about the Internet.  Please stop.
>
> > So
> > there does seem to be a cable problem.
>
> The OP has said that they tried both a cross over cable and a straight
> cable without success, so there must be some other issue.
> Unfortunately, it looks like it the solution is most likely one that
> those of us on the list won't be able to help with.
>
> --
> William Hooper

Hi, guys,
	One problem I ran into once was a mechanical issue where the cable
wouldn't mate properly.  Check the connector on the laptop and make sure
that the little wire things that comprise the connection are actually
there and formed correctly.  I had one that was squished or something
and wouldn't make contact properly.  It would work sometimes when I got
the connector seated "just wrong", but not normally.

This is my only possible contribution to this particular issue.  Good
hunting.

Regards,
Les H