Why cant I make my laptop ethernet cards recognise 10Mbs?

Hi
  I have got two laptops. If I connect one of them up to a 10mbs ethernet
connection; it recognises the connection immediately and I can happily
transfer files immediately.  However my second laptop just will not work at
10Mbs.  100Mbs is not aproblem, but 10Mbps is simply not recognised.
Initially I thought it might be the on-board network card, so I bought a
netgear FA511 adaptor in the hope that that would work ok.  It has exactly
the same problem.  Both the laptops are running Fedora-6 ( I would update the
failing one if I thought that it would make a difference).  The failing
laptop simply does not see the 10Mbs signal.

  The laptop that works has a Broadcom coporation BCM4401-B0 adaptor.  I tryed
the failing laptop with the onboard SIS900 PCI fast ethernet adaptor and the
netgear 10/1000 mbps fast ethernet adaptor (FA511).  Both refuse to detect
10Mbps.  I tryed setting the speed directly, but it did not seem to help
(mii-tool).  Has anyone got any ideas as to why this laptop does not detect
10Mbps (100Mbps is fine) or what I might try to fix the problem.  I cant
really believe that both these adaptors would fail especially the netgear
one.

Thanks for any help

Phil