Re: access ipod files?

Craig White wrote:
On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 17:01 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
Craig White wrote:
----
normal fedora would have device automatically mount when connected -
i.e. /media/DEVICE_NAME as the current logged in user.

Evidently it is device known as /dev/sdc

Probably best not to fool with it much as root

in a terminal, you can figure out what is mounted simply by typing
'mount'

IE...my ipod (not a mini)

mount command shows...
/dev/sda2 on /media/80IPOD type vfat
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=1000,utf8,shortname=lower)

so my ipod is /dev/sda and /dev/sda2 is mounted at /media/80IPOD

$ ls -l /media/80IPOD/
total 80
drwxr-xr-x 2 craig root 16384 Jan  1  2000 Calendars
drwxr-xr-x 2 craig root 16384 Jan  1  2000 Contacts
drwxr-xr-x 6 craig root 16384 Sep 10  2006 iPod_Control
drwxr-xr-x 2 craig root 16384 Jan  1  2000 Notes
drwxr-xr-x 3 craig root 16384 Nov 22 12:08 Photos

so far so good...

ls -l /media/80IPOD/iPod_Control
ls -l /media/80IPOD/iPod_Control/Music
which then shows all the folders and the music is inside the folders.

The file/folder naming scheme doesn't make sense to us.

but it can be discerned from /media/80IPOD/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB
but it needs something that can make sense of that.

That's where Amarok, gtkpod or other programs come in.

Find the icon on the desktop and right click it, tell it to 'Safely
Remove' and then after telling you to remove it, disconnect from
computer. Fire up Amarok (or whatever), once it launches, then connect
the iPod again...Amarok should find it just fine.

Craig

    Ok, with your help I was able to make it work.  When I plug in the
    iPod two icons appear on the desk top, one labeled "Apple iPod" and
    another marked "Luc & Matt."  I had to mount the second one and then
I can see the files you mentioned "/iPod_Control/iTunes/" etc.
    Then starting amarok produces a listing of the contents of the iPod
    from which I can copy stuff to the hard drive and play it via xmms.

    Thanks to all for the help.
----
just as an fyi, I think that if you want to use Amarok to 'play' ipod
stuff, it requires that you have livna repository configured and then,
yum install \
gstreamer-plugins-good \
gstreamer-plugins-bad \
gstreamer-plugins-ugly \
gstreamer \
gstreamer-tools

I suspect that you already have faad2 & xmms-faad2 installed since you
are playing from xmms and thus probably already have livna configured.

Craig

(probably gstreamer and gstreamer-tools are already installed)

   Yes, I installed whatever was necessary for xmms, vlc, and audacity
   to handle mp3 files.  I will have to check for the stuff you list above.

Thanks.
   Bob Goodwin