Re: list subject

Lamar Owen wrote:
The easy thing to do is to use the standard RFC822 (and superceding RFC's) List-Id: header to do your processing. With the e-mail volume I pull, having everything coming into a single folder is impossible (I got over 16,000 non-spam e-mails last month from this one account (I have six)); I organize by folders, and kmail allows some really slick presentation of those folders, and does the automatic List-Id based filing.

agreed - something you may not have heard is that there's a move afoot to drop Kmail from KDE4 I don't know if that's a permanent drop, or a get the release out the door without it drop, but, I share your sentiments on its power, and am going to look into it further

to Les: I'm not following this discussion intently, though I agree with the sentiment of not adding to the subject line, but one thing you said caught my eye, the bit about "Doesn't that mean you have to jump around in the folders whenever a new message comes in or you want to reply to something? I don't have time for that." The answer is yes, but, it's not really so hard. I see you're using Thunderbird on Windows, which I am in process of configuring at this moment on a new laptop. When new messages come in, I merely press the 'n' key to get to them, or, I've added the 'Next unread message' and 'Previous unread message' buttons to the toolbar so I can mouseclick to them; additionally, I've changed the behavior where it continually asks you if you want to go to an unread message in the next folder by doing the following from Thunderbird tricks and tips:

"Change the Advance to Next Unread Message behavior

   When you click on the Next button (or when you select Go > Next >
   Message or simply when you press N) you normally advance to the next
   unread message in the current folder. If there are no unread
   messages left in a folder, Thunderbird will ask if you want to
   advance to the next folder containing unread messages. You can
   change this behavior by using the Config Editor <edit#configeditor>
   to change the value of the preference mailnews.nav_crosses_folders.
   The values are:

   0
Always go to the next folder without prompting 1 Ask before going (the default behaviour) 2
       Never go to the next folder with unread messages"

Hoping this got converted to text only from html, and hope this is helpful - if not, just disregard - I don't need a big correction for not following your complaint in total detail, it's just some suggestions