Re: list subject

Lamar Owen wrote:
On Tuesday 11 December 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
Just the opposite - everyone else is fully equal and capable of
defending the way they prefer things.  But, nearly every other list I
subscribe to is polite enough to identify itself with a tag and I don't
recall ever seeing anyone complain about it - _ever_.  And since I deal
regularly with both, I have no question about which I prefer.

You must not be on too many mailing lists. In my experience, after having been subscribed to, at the peak, of nearly a hundred and fifty separate lists (I'm only on about fifty now, spread across six e-mail accounts), I have seen the proportion about evenly split. But this is the same as the 'Reply-to:' versus no 'Reply-to:' split; about 50-50.

Where likewise the only place I've ever seen complaints are the ones that don't adjust the reply-to, yet the complaints are always met with 'it's morally wrong to do that..'.

The easy thing to do is to use the standard RFC822 (and superceding RFC's) List-Id: header to do your processing. With the e-mail volume I pull, having everything coming into a single folder is impossible (I got over 16,000 non-spam e-mails last month from this one account (I have six)); I organize by folders, and kmail allows some really slick presentation of those folders, and does the automatic List-Id based filing.

Doesn't that mean you have to jump around in the folders whenever a new message comes in or you want to reply to something? I don't have time for that.

Incidentally, awstats tells me the Fedora-List delivered to me over 5,000 e-mails in November; that's nearly one third of my e-mail on this account last month. Hmm, pretty bad signal to noise ratio on that list, since I've only left 2600 or so messages in the folder since I resubscribed (after a few years absence; I unsubscribed after I got tired of arguing for what is now yum-presto) in September. And I'm getting ready to clean it out; the archive will likely be left with less than 1,000 messages that have enough meat to be considered worthy of keeping around.

That's why I send it all through gmail...

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx