Re: list subject

On Tuesday 11 December 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> > I have seen the proportion about evenly split.  But this is
> > the same as the 'Reply-to:' versus no 'Reply-to:' split; about 50-50.

> Where likewise the only place I've ever seen complaints are the ones
> that don't adjust the reply-to, yet the complaints are always met with
> 'it's morally wrong to do that..'.

I've seen both; I run several lists here, and I have had more requests to drop
the 'reply-to: list' option than to add it back in.  Again: it's up to the
list owners, and no one else.

> >I organize by folders, and kmail allows some really slick
> > presentation of those folders, and does the automatic List-Id based
> > filing.

> Doesn't that mean you have to jump around in the folders whenever a new
> message comes in or you want to reply to something?

Let me recast that: it means rather than have all new incoming messages
obscure the really important non-list incoming messages, I have really
important e-mail come into a pretty clean inbox, and when I have a break
(like right now) I can, in a subject-oriented manner, read and reply.  I find
it to be much more efficient to dispose of 60-100 messages in a row on the
same subject than to have them all interspersed in my inbox, which needs to
stay clean so that important messages get quick dispositions.

> I don't have time
> for that.

I wonder what the statistics for all your replies to this list and the CentOS
list would say about your time availability.  Or mine, for that matter.

> > And I'm getting ready to clean
> > it out; the archive will likely be left with less than 1,000 messages
> > that have enough meat to be considered worthy of keeping around.

> That's why I send it all through gmail...

What does gmail have to do with the S/N ratio of this list (note that the
16,000 messages I received in the last month did not include spam, of which
over 100,000 messages were dropped)?
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer