Re: list subject

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 18:28 -0700, Mike wrote:
> While we're voting (ok I just decided we were voting :), I'd like to
> vote against [Fedora-list] or anything for that matter added to thte
> subject.

Supported!

Adding [crap] to subjects just lengthens things, so there's less space
to read the subject line on many mailers.  It gets worse when you end up
with message subject lines like:

[crap] re: [crap] re: [crap] re: list subject

Thanks to idiots configuring it to be added before the "re" instead of
after it, and idiot list mail software not checking for its presence
before adding it.

'tis also against the RFCs to mess with the subject line (beyond adding
re or fwd prefixes).

Threading is not done by subject lines, but adding [crap] to the does
mess things up for those lumbered with doing threading the wrong way.
Changing a subject line also indicates new breakaways to a thread,
someone adding [crap] introduces such breaks.

I mention that for two reasons.  The recursive crap I've already
mentioned, and some people who seem to be adding [fedora] to the subject
lines in their replies to this list which doesn't have [fedora] crap in
it to begin with.  I haven't looked into whether that's users doing it,
or they're replying through a stupid gateway.

Filtering should not be done by subject lines.  That leads to private
messages getting filtered into list folders by clueless users, simply
because the keyword matched the filter.  Who then get umpty about their
private messages being made public, when they're not, they just *think*
that they are.  Or they reply to a private message, publicly, because
they're unaware of it and their mailer auto-messes-with message
addressing based on the folder they replied to.

Filtering/sorting should be done on other message headers.  There's
plenty of options with this list to pick one that unabiguously
determines a message belongs with this list.

In short, it's a bad, stupid, and completely unnecessary thing to do.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.