Re: root password timeout

On Dec 10, 2007 9:57 PM, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Where is the timeout setting for remembering the root password for
> various system-controlling applets?
>
> For instance, if you open system-config-network, it asks you for a
> password the first time - but then it remembers it for a few minutes.
> Within that time you can close & reopen the  network config applet, and
> most other admin applets, as well. I'd like to make my computer timeout
> immediately, if possible.
>
> Also, is there a way to manually override the timeout (force it to time
> out on command)? E.g. if I need to quickly change a setting and then let
> someone else work on the computer.

I know in Gnome you can right click on the icon (badge/shield if I
recall correctly) in the top panel (by default that's where it is in
Gnome) and release root privileges immediately rather than waiting for
a timeout.  Not on my Linux machine so can't check the other part of
your question.

Jacques B.