Re: kalarm - week starting day

David Boles wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:
David Boles wrote:

Developer groups such as KDE do not track what packagers do; part of the
responsibility that Fedora, Red Hat, *suse, Debian accept when they
repackage software is to filter software bugs.

if the problem is not due to the process of repackaging, then _they_
refer the problem upstream to the developer, often with a patch.

A reasonable response from the KDE team in this case would be, "Take it
to your distributor. We don't know what they have done to it."

Frank already explained that it's inconsistent. You should have read the

*But*, John, it is a KDE 'thing' and not a fedora 'thing'. I have seen
the same thing happen in KDE specific distributions *without* the hated
GNOME anywhere near. Mandrake comes to mind.

Almost certainly, Fedora has changed KDE. Here is the list of files in a kdebase src.rpm: 20:39 [summer@numbat ~]$ rpm -qlp /net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/RHEL/4/updates/SRPMS/kdebase-3.3.1-5.13.src.rpm warning: /net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/RHEL/4/updates/SRPMS/kdebase-3.3.1-5.13.src.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
KDE.session.gnome
kcmnspluginrc
kde-libtool.patch
kde-np
kde-redhat-config-3.2.0-0.6.tar.bz2
kde.desktop
kdebase-3.0-shortcuts.patch
kdebase-3.0.4-kdesukonsole.patch
kdebase-3.1-ssl-krb5.patch
kdebase-3.1-startpage.patch
kdebase-3.1.1-usb.patch
kdebase-3.1.3-konsole-double-esc.patch
kdebase-3.1.93-aboutkde.patch
kdebase-3.1.93-monospace.patch
kdebase-3.1.93-starthere.patch
kdebase-3.1.93-vroot.patch
kdebase-3.1.95-config.patch
kdebase-3.2.0-keymap.patch
kdebase-3.2.0-kickermenu.patch
kdebase-3.2.0-motif.patch
kdebase-3.2.0-selinux.patch
kdebase-3.2.2-konsole-setInputMethodEnabled-20040525.diff
kdebase-3.2.2-nedit.patch
kdebase-3.2.2-pie.patch
kdebase-3.2.2-urandom.patch
kdebase-3.2.92-kpersonalizer.patch
kdebase-3.2.92-logo.patch
kdebase-3.3.0-altf2.patch
kdebase-3.3.0-kioslave.patch
kdebase-3.3.0-klipper.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-cvs.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-kcheckpass.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-kdeprintfax.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-kfind.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-kio_fish-bz#177743.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-klipper-bz#169459.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-kmenu-close-after-drop.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-kxkb.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-largefile.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-man.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-redhat.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-servicebutton-saveas.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-sidebar.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-systray-bz182452.patch
kdebase-3.3.1.tar.bz2
kdebase-3.4.1-pam.patch
kdebase.spec
konsole.desktop
mailsettings.cc
post-3.3.0-kdebase-kdm.diff
post-3.3.1-kdebase-smb.diff
post-3.3.2-kdebase-htmlframes2.patch
start-here.png
20:39 [summer@numbat ~]$

It's probable that the KDE project supports almost none of those patches. they will be interested in two versions: their current stable version, and their development version. if you want more support than that, use someone else's versions. Fedora maybe.

If whoever deals with KDE for Fedora 'fixes' this catastrophic error in
Fedora the other poor unfortunate users of KDE in other distributions
will still suffer from this tragically, terrible 'wrong day' problem.

Not so. I fully expect that the Fedora Project will fix it, and if it's a KDE problem then contribute the patch upstream.

That's why I suggested that he write to KDE's bugzilla. Or even to the
Fedora bugzilla. Speaking here, on a 'help me please list' sure as heck

bugzilla.redhat.com is the correct place to report a bug. This is a good place to discuss it and try to decide what is going wrong, maybe where, and what the desired behaviour is.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait