Re: Ethernet card won't take dcH Inititalization

Bryan A Zimmer wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a computer with Comcast.net as my ISP. My Ethernet cable goes
> from the network interface to the cable modem.
>
> I have another computer with the same setup and DHCP is no problem.
>
> On the problem computer, the card does not acquire an Ethernet
> address, and I don't know enough about DHCP in Linux to configure the
> client software or configure the Ethernet card.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction? The non-working computer
> is a standard x86_64 machine with a RealTek "8139too". I compared the
> scripts and configuration I could find, but got nowhere.
>
> The giveaway is theat the "PCLiNK" on the modem does not illuminate
> (meaning there is no signal from the ethernet card to the cable modem).

Typically, the link light indicates Ethernet connectivity. If you don't
have that you're not going to get anywhere. Do you happen to have two
network cards in this PC? if so you might want to try the other one...

If you only have one network card, check the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file and make sure that the
'onboot' option is set to yes. Then restart networking (service network
restart).

-B