Re: anyone have an Acer TravelMate notebook or anything with an Atheros wifi chip?

| From: Lonni J Friedman <netllama@xxxxxxxxx>

| Sadly, even with the 8k stacks kernel, I'm getting an immediate kernel
| BUG() followed by crash of the OS when doing a "modprobe ndiswrapper".
|  This is with the latest ndiswrapper release (1.50) as well as the
| 1.47 release.  I guess i'm entirely screwed at this point.

My experience may or may not be relevant.  I set up Ubuntu Feisty on my son's
Acer Aspire 5570-2792.  I wrote up my experience here:
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AcerAspire5570-2792
Near the end is a description of the wireless part of the story.

I had tried madwifi + HAL and got HAL status 13.  That was not even
logged.  Anyway, HAL is a black box and apparently the open source
folks cannot to get the author to respond to problem reports.

This might be relevant: http://madwifi.org/ticket/1206

I ended up trying ndiswrapper.  It did not work.  But I found the
author on IRC and he actually sshed into my machine (with permission),
figured out the problem, and checked a fix into the repository.  Now
that is service!

I've not touched the setup since May -- the box is thousands of
kilometers away.  I don't know how reliable the WiFi is.