Re: anyone have an Acer TravelMate notebook or anything with an Atheros wifi chip?

On Nov 29, 2007 11:13 AM, Lonni J Friedman <netllama@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Note, all of the above is before even attempting to use any form of
encryption.  I want to get the thing functional to the point that I
can ping other systems, and then I'll add in encryption.

Anyone have any success stories or suggestions?  thanks

Despite what lspci says, the wireless you have is NOT actually an AR5006EG, it is in fact an AR5007EG (interestingly enough, Windows XP makes the same identification mistake).  That is why it doesn't work; neither madwifi nor ath5k currently support the AR5007EG.  At all.

I managed to 'fix' it by waltzing down to the nearby computer store and buying a wireless PCMCIA card, because madwifi and ath5k won't work, and ndiswrapper with this chipset is horribly unpredictable.