Re: The shred command and security?

Todd Zullinger <tmz <at> pobox.com> writes:

> If you want much more secure deletion, take a look at DBAN:
>
> http://dban.sourceforge.net/
>
> Another option is to use disk encryption.  Then you could give your
> disk away without deleting or wiping anything and still be secure.

Yes I am aware of both these which are great for total inaccessibility to
others for an entire disk. In this case I was looking for deletion of a
small number of files which may have sensitive info but to retain the
system, including the HD, in a working fashion for the new owner.

Thanks for the reply though.