Re: NTP fails synchronization with server at startup

Paul Smith wrote:

> Yes, Craig, I did reboot the computer after having turned off ipv6,
> but it did not solve the problem. It is rather strange that
> '/sbin/service ntpd restart' works perfectly and that NTP cannot
> synchronize with the server at booting.
>
> Paul

This is not strange at all. When it tries to connect at boot, it can
not make the connection. When the network is up, it can make the
connection. I don't remember for sure, but I believe you were
getting a DNS error. This could be because you couldn't reach the
name server, or because you are running a local name server, and it
isn't up when NTP starts. I would also expect to see this if you
were using a wireless connection and network manager configured to
make the connection when the user logs in. (User supplied wireless
key instead of system supplied wireless key.)

Mikkel