Re: [FC8] useradd anomaly - GUI or command line???

Deepak Shrestha wrote:
>> No...  It meas that the password provided must already be in encrypted
>> format.  "The encrypted password, as returned by crypt".
>>
>> You can see the results of your command by looking in /etc/shadow after you
>> use the "useradd" command.  You will see the password field contains
>> "secret666".
>
> in /etc/shadow
>
> I can see the password of newly created user through useradd in plain
> text (as you said) but the user password of other users created from
> GUI is encrypted (something like $lkd090s909.......).
>
> what does that mean and how can I make that user to be able to log in?

Well....

You could use a script such as the one found at
http://sial.org/howto/perl/password-crypt/crypt-example to generate the MD5
encrypted password and then place the md5 result as the parameter specified
in -p.  But, you'd have to be careful to escape certain character...such as
the $.

I guess the question is...what are you trying to achieve?