Re: [FC8] useradd anomaly - GUI or command line???

Deepak Shrestha wrote:
>> No....
>>
>> Read the man page for useradd and pay close attention to the -p parameter.
>
> Man page says
> ======================
>        -p, --password PASSWORD
>           The encrypted password, as returned by crypt(3). The default is to
>           disable the account.
>
> So that means the newly created user is disabled by default?
>
> I am asking this because I am new to linux administration stuff. Most
> of the time I am using as personal desktop.

No...  It meas that the password provided must already be in encrypted
format.  "The encrypted password, as returned by crypt".

You can see the results of your command by looking in /etc/shadow after you
use the "useradd" command.  You will see the password field contains
"secret666".