[FC8] useradd anomaly - GUI or command line???

Hi,

I am trying to add new users in my FC8 machine.

As root I issued command
# groupadd zion
# useradd -c "Some User" -m -g zion -p secret666 someuser

now If try to login from console is unsuccessful
===================
login: someuser
Password: secret666

gives me

login Incorrect

I open the GUI user manager and remove the currently created user and
added the user the same name and password and added him to the zion
group.
Now i can login with that name and password noramally.

My Question
=========
Is there something broken in command line tool "useradd"?

Thanks