Re: /proc/acpi problem 2.6.23

Hi Ron
When i replaced the motherboard of my L400 it became a Inspiron 2100! so same board with a different DMI string.

The same thing also happened with a toshiba laptop with a different chipset so i don't think the bug is specific to this make/model.

Things i tried without success
1)modprobing battery and power_supply made no difference
2)rebuilding 2.6.23 kernel with a custom dsdt made no difference
3)rebuilding 2.6.23 with the ACPI modules built in made no difference
4)rebuilding the 2.6.23 kernel with deprecated /proc/acpi/ made no difference

Just the act of rebuilding a kernel is enough for the laptop to overheat, even sitting on top of a fan belonging to another box!

Ended up upgrading a nice, big, fast dell server to fc8 and compiling the 2.6.24 kernel from rawhide on it (--target=i686) and changing all the 64bit=y &c then installing it on the lappie which made it all better.

Never had to compile a kernel before, necessity being the mother of invention and that.

I have updated the bugzilla report severity to high.

/me hoping that the released version of 2.6.24 doesn't break things again

mike

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=224601&topic_id=47985&forum=10#forumpost224601
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and/or blame mikie.simpson@xxxxxxxxxx