Re: Fedora and Ubuntu

Lamar Owen wrote:
On Thursday 29 November 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
    At this time I can say the Ubuntu update system is very superior to
Pup and yum used on Fedora. I suggest Fedora look close at Ubuntu and
see how to get it working here.

Having worked with Ubuntu, and done a few 7.04 to 7.10 upgrades through that GUI, I'll second this. After doing the initial update, a section of the updater is added, which includes a button to do a version upgrade. No reboot until the packages are downloaded and installed, then you reboot into the upgraded system. The Debian systems have for a long time had a smoother version upgrade mechanism.

Now, I had issues after the reboot, but that was a different deal that was easily fixed (the video card was set up incorrectly, and X wouldn't start until reconfigured (which was a very easy task; apt's equivalents to %pre, %post, %preun, and %postun are much much more powerful than what RPM gives you)).

The Ubuntu upgrader GUI is quite a bit faster than pup. And synaptic is still far and away better than pirut or any of the yum frontends. Adept-installer (under kubuntu this is the default instead of the GTK synaptic) is much more like pirut, but it is faster.
You know much more about the details than I do. All I can say is Ubuntu is much faster at upgrading. And so much so it is important.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User