Fedora and Ubuntu

Pup and yum on F7 are a pain. Often when the message is for 10 new updates I do it in a terminal. Either way it is quite slow. But it works.

Ubuntu uses apt-get and a GUI thing like Pup but it works much better. I have no desire to do it in a terminal. When I set it up the first time it took 90 updates. I was amazed how fast it went and zero problems. There are several things not Fedora or normal Ubuntu applications that I MUST have. On Ubuntu they are all a simple # apt-get install and they do all the work bringing in the necessary libs and such.

At this time I can say the Ubuntu update system is very superior to Pup and yum used on Fedora. I suggest Fedora look close at Ubuntu and see how to get it working here.

Both systems use Gnome and that makes both look VERY similar. A nice feature of Ubuntu is that that mount all the Linux systems on boot to /mnt and you can then, of course transfer things from the Fedora systems to Ubuntu. Or the reverse.

Ubuntu is based on Debian and the place that files go and do are odd to a Fedora user. There is no grub.conf and /etc/fstab is a real MESS! I am not sure my Fedora /home directory can be used with Ubuntu, but I will try just for fun.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User