Re: Fedora 8 runlevel 3

Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
Bill Geng wrote:
I just installed Fedora 8 on my desktop computer. My computer gets an
IP address from my router which runs a DHCP server. It works at
runlevel 5. I can access the Internet. After I changed the default
runlevel from 5 to 3, my network interface cannot be bring up
automatically. I have to run "ifup eth0" manually to get an IP

Seems to me that network manager is far from ready for use, it's causing too much trouble to too many people.

If you use your system like most Windows users do, then it's probably okay.

address. Anyone can help me out.

I've had this problem too for one of my servers that runs nessus on Fedora8. I solved it by stopping the NetworkManager service and starting the "network" service.

# chkconfig NetworkManager off
# chkconfig network on
# service NetworkManager stop
# service network start

I don't remember doing this, but it does work very nicely on my desktop development machine:
[summer@potoroo ~]$ chkconfig  --list | grep -i network
NetworkManager  0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
NetworkManagerDispatcher 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off
network         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
[summer@potoroo ~]$

--

Cheers
John