Re: Wanna give me a hand debunking this?

On Monday 26 November 2007, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2007 12:19 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Then it still misses the need for a way to get current desktop programs
> > without wild and crazy changes in the kernel and device drivers.

> Make up your mind.  Do you care about uptime reliability for critical
> services or do you care about desktop applications? Are you seriously
> attempting to suggest that new versions of thunderbird or openoffice
> are critical in any sense of the word?

He wants a stable kernel but a more up to date userland so that the kernel
driver ABI doesn't change but userland does.

I wouldn't mind that myself so that VMware and other binary modules wouldn't
break so often, but still having cutting edge userland.

I don't think uptime reliability is part of the equation.  I think it has more
to do with drivers and the module ABI.  Stable means different things to
different people.

The userland of Fedora on the kernel of RHEL, I think, would meet Les's needs
the best.  For KDE users you can already get this through running CentOS or
RHEL and then adding the KDE-Redhat repo, which replaces large sections of
the system with updated packages (but doesn't touch the kernel).

Of course, there is more to stability than the kernel (glibc anyone?).

I know binary modules are Considered Harmful by many; sometimes 'you gotta do
what you gotta do.'
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer