Re: Can Java just shoot me?

Knute Johnson wrote:
Chris G wrote:
[snip me not liking Java and you saying it's the way to do something]

OK, you have a case where Java is useful/necessary, that doesn't mean
that *many* (or even most) uses of Java in web applications are good
and necessary.

Fundamentally I don't think we disagree!  :-)
I disagree. Usable java is the way out of monopoly control of web browsers (and hardware as well). It's unfortunate that alternative operating systems haven't worked to provide it.

It works on Windows, Linux and Solaris and Apple (more or less) With Sun's version going open source I expect to see many more in the near future.

It works as an application if you go get Sun's version in spite of the effort to provide incompatible versions in the distributions. So far I haven't seen the solution to the 64-bit browser plugin for Linux.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx