Re: yum problem after bad shutdown

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 11:52 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Since everything appears to be working perfectly well
> the problem seems to me to lie in the yum database.
> Is it possible to delete this and rebuild it?
> I did run "sudo yum clean all" and "sudo yum makecache"
> but this did not seem to affect matters.

It's the RPM database that tracks what's installed, that's updated when
you install or remove packages.  There are ways to remake it, or check
that it's accurate.

Yum's is about what's available from the repos, that's updated each time
you get information from the repos (e.g. "yum update", or "yum install
something").  It doesn't reflect what's installed on your system, doing
something like "yum update" does a correlation between your RPM database
and the repos yum ones.  "yum clean metadata" will erase it, for it to
be rebuilt on the next run.  "yum clean all" throws it all away,
included cached downloaded files, and isn't usually necessary.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.