Re: Fedora 8 Wireless Networking Out-Of-The-Box

Randy Yates writes:

Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 09:40 -0500, Randy Yates wrote:

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the info. How did you set your wireless channel? How did you know to start the NetworkManager service? Is there documentation from Redhat somewhere on this?
I just tried starting the Networkmanager service and so
far (after about 3 minutes) it's still "in-progress" - doesn't
look promising.
--
Assuming you have the wireless device driver losacted it is easy:

Whoa. And how does one "load the wireless device driver?" Do you mean using ndiswrapper?

No.

If you mean using ndiswrapper, I saw a message yesterday which instructed the user to remove ndiswrapper. This is a big part of my misunderstanding. Do we need ndiswrapper or not?

You only need ndiswrapper if the driver for your wireless chipset is not implemented or supported by the Linux kernel.

Is the network manager simply an easy way to switch between wired
and wireless networks once you have your wireless driver installed

Yes. NetworkManager makes it fairly easy to switch wireless on and off, and switch between different wireless access points.

(e.g., via ndiswrapper)?

Hopefully not. Generally speaking, you'll have the least amount of heartburn if you do your homework and acquire wireless hardware that's directly supported by the Linux kernel, and does not require the ndiswrapper hack.

run:
Run NetworkManager and NetwotkmanagerDispatcher and stop network init.d
scripts. Ask if you don't know how.

I don't know what you mean by "stop network init.d scripts."

That means any scripts that automatically enable wireless network interfaces at boot time. You don't want to do that, instead let NetworkManager handle all aspects of wireless networking.

Once I've set it up on my wife's laptop, she can handle the rest all by herself -- booting Fedora, entering the keyring passphrase, and syncing up to my wireless AP.