Re: a way to correct a corrupt F8 iso file ?

Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 19Nov2007 07:09, John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| hicham wrote:
|>  I've downloaded a F8 dvd iso file, but after cheking the sha1sum, it
|> gives me the wrong series of letters and numbers :(
|> I was wondering if there is a tool that correct the iso file without
|> having to download everything from scratch
|
| Find an rsync mirror.
|
| Do not use --checksum, the host will be upset with you. The time I needed | to do it (and the time I was told not to --checksum), rsync wasn't doing | anything, I think because the local time and size matched. What eventually | worked was copying the image with dd, using blocksize and count to copy 1k | less than the actual size.

It would have been faster to just touch(1) the .iso file. Then the mtime
wouldn't match.

Probably, but not actually having done it that way myself, I wasn't about to say categorically that it would work*.

I was exchanging email with Jason at planetmirror about it at the time. We were both scratching our heads.

* I have clobbered a download by trying to download what turned out to be a symlink to what I actually wanted. Downloaded the symlink nicely, but uselessly.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait