Bill Davidsen wrote:
R A Jon Hamelin wrote:
Frank Cox wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:34:57 -0800
R A Jon Hamelin <jon_hamelin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

4) My original post was to inquire if the Developer spin was available via a straight download, not to discuss the pros and cons of torrents. I downloaded the F8 DVD as a regular download in 42 minutes. Why would I want some insecure software exposing me to who knows what risks for 12 or so hours? No Thank you.

Sure, no need to share that free software with others if you don't have to.

So once again I will try to inquire if the spin is available as a straight download and if so, could I be pointed in the right direction. I presently use OpenSolaris Developer Edition and would be very interested in comparing it to the Fedora Developer Spin.

Guess you'll have to buy it on media or subscribe to one of the "pay to join" sites. And there's no requirement to serve bittorrent for 12 hours after you download, I rate limit incoming to 4Mbit, but if you have a fat pipe you can get it very quickly, I had 26 feeds last night for a re-pull of the line-KDE CD, and about that for the FC8test3 and release DVDs. Lots of feeds, I'm only getting about 350-400Kbit from a couple of peers, so there must be lots of people serving.

Where did this come from?? Because I do not like to use torrent after being burned I am all of a sudden greedy!!! You do not know anything about me so how can you come to such a conclusion?

I accept used computers from companies and individuals, refurbish them, install Linux (Microsoft wants $5 to transfer license of existing software) and distribute them free of charge to school kids, handicapped, shut-ins and seniors, who would otherwise not be able to afford a computer. I also provide free support for same--37 computers at present. In addition I will download and burn a DVD or CD set of any free Linux version for anyone who does not have the facilities to do this themselves. This for no charge as well. I estimate I spend at least 20 hrs a month on these activities.

So, before you unfairly criticize someone, as you have me, you should at least attempt to find out a little about them. Shame on you.

Sincerely,

Jon
--
R A Jon Hamelin