Re: F8 sound problems

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 11:52 +0000, John Austin wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 23:41 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 00:05:25 +0000 (UTC)
> > "Amadeus W.M." <amadeus84@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a problem that may be related to yours. When I play any video with
> > > mplayer and I use / or * to change the volume I get this error message:
> > >
> > > [AO_ALSA] Unable to find simple control 'PCM',0.
> >
> > Load gmplayer.
> >
> > Right-click
> >
> > Preferences
> >
> > Audio
> >
> > Select "pulse PulseAudio audio output" from the list of "Available drivers"
> >
> > Click OK.
> >
> > Problem solved.
> >
> > --
> > MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://www.melvilletheatre.com
> >

> Also having sound problems here
> Using
> x86-64, KDE and vlc
> 2.6.23.1-49.fc8
> vlc-0.8.6c-9.lvn8.x86_64
> kdebase-3.5.8-5.fc8.x86_64
>
> Distorted sound using vlc
>
> Is it vlc, pulseaudio, ALSA, KDE causing the problem ????
>
> At least 4 ways of controlling the volume
> kmix - Does not show Master but responds to "Front" with image of a plug
> kmix - Slider in Panel shows Microphone and does nothing
> pavucontrol - Does things
> vlc  - Volume slider does things
> K-Administration/Sound Card Detection does things too
>
> mplayer does not distort but I much prefer vlc at the moment
> kplayer volume control does link to pavucontrol!
>
> Is there anywhere that explains the interaction between all the sound components ?
>
> This is the only real problem I have had with F8 - very good, thanks everyone!!!!
>
> VMware, Icedtea, mozilla-plugin-config, stablemirrors, KDM, KDE, kino (pulseaudio not supported)
> realplayer10gold, Flash, Acroread, kmod-nvidia(update kernel hickup)
>
> All working
>
> John

I have found a fix for the vlc pulseaudio problem

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/7710121/out.ogg
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-lib/+bug/103025
Just set Prefs/Audio/Output modules to Linux OSS audio output
Remember to either scroll or enlarge the window to see
the pull down menu !!!!!!!!!

John