Re: F8 sound problems

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 23:41 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 00:05:25 +0000 (UTC)
> "Amadeus W.M." <amadeus84@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I have a problem that may be related to yours. When I play any video with
> > mplayer and I use / or * to change the volume I get this error message:
> >
> > [AO_ALSA] Unable to find simple control 'PCM',0.
>
> Load gmplayer.
>
> Right-click
>
> Preferences
>
> Audio
>
> Select "pulse PulseAudio audio output" from the list of "Available drivers"
>
> Click OK.
>
> Problem solved.
>
> --

Also having sound problems here
Using
x86-64, KDE and vlc
2.6.23.1-49.fc8
vlc-0.8.6c-9.lvn8.x86_64
kdebase-3.5.8-5.fc8.x86_64

Distorted sound using vlc

Is it vlc, pulseaudio, ALSA, KDE causing the problem ????

At least 4 ways of controlling the volume
kmix - Does not show Master but responds to "Front" with image of a plug
kmix - Slider in Panel shows Microphone and does nothing
pavucontrol - Does things
vlc  - Volume slider does things
K-Administration/Sound Card Detection does things too

mplayer does not distort but I much prefer vlc at the moment
kplayer volume control does link to pavucontrol!

Is there anywhere that explains the interaction between all the sound components ?

This is the only real problem I have had with F8 - very good, thanks everyone!!!!

VMware, Icedtea, mozilla-plugin-config, stablemirrors, KDM, KDE, kino (pulseaudio not supported)
realplayer10gold, Flash, Acroread, kmod-nvidia(update kernel hickup)

All working

John