Re: Fedora lifetime and stability

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 00:52 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2007 12:52 AM, Gilboa Davara <gilboad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > No deep analysis required:
> > > Short term support (1 year), bleeding edge: Fedora.
> > > Long term support (7 years), slow moving: RHEL (and CentOS).
> > >
> > > - Gilboa
> >
> > Let me try and explain myself.
> > You cannot have a stable platform that is also bleeding edge.
> > As any software developer can tell you, software needs time to mature.
> > You need time to check everything, fix bugs, fix compatibility problems,
> > etc.
> >
> > Ubuntu long term support is problematic. You get a semi-unstable release
> > that is slowly being stabilized as things progress. But until it fully
> > stabilizes, the software packages being used as just as old as
> > RHEL/CentOS ones.
>
> Why do you say long term support is problematic? Per their web page
> 18 months is the standard support term for the desktop and server
> releases. Plus they offer special long term support (LTS ) releases;
> desktop (3 years) and server (5 years). They're all free and under one
> umbrella. That beats the heck out of what Fedora/Red Hat is offering.
> (I'm not counting CentOS as a free Red Hat supported offering.)

Because the release itself is semi-stable to begin with.
Yes, you get 18/36/60 month support cycle - but unlike RHEL/CentOS it
doesn't have a long term beta/staging program. (AKA Fedora)

> > ... In essence, instead of having RedHat/CentOS do the QA for you (or
> > use Fedora to pre-test it), you are being used as Ubuntu's QA
>
> It's a community QA for the bulk of the software. GNU software, Gnome,
> KDE, Openoffice, etc. are all from the same place.

True.

But if I use RHEL or CentOS in a production environment, I already know
that it has went through a long QA cycle, both as Fedora and as RHEL
beta/RC/etc.

- Gilboa