Re: any good UPS for a Fedora server

On Nov 14, 2007 9:31 AM, Mike <azmr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I get 3+ hours of run time from this combination (RS1500 plus external
> BR24BP battery):
>
>      http://reviews.compusa.com/2795/568415/reviews.htm
>
> The measured power consumption of the singler server that this backs up is
> only 115 watts, pretty low generally speaking.
>
> I use a usb cable between the RS1500 and the server.  I've configured
> apcupsd to page me when several different events happen, power out, power
> restored etc.
>
> The downside of the RS1500 and apcupsd is that 9 times out of 10 it
> triggers a shutdown long before the battery is even close to exhausted.
> To prevent this I replaced the shutdown script with a script that does
> nothing.  Never did find a more elegant solution.
>
> In any case this may not be the UPS for you but this works well for me.
> Someone can almsost always get to the server if the "Power restored" page
> doesn't come in within 2 hours of power out...

I also use an RS/XS 1500 + extra battery to keep several PCs and other
networking odds and ends up. With all this junk running it holds up
for over 1 hour and if I'm away and have monitors off and shutdown one
of the three PCs it lasts over 2 hous. This has been a very good UPS
for a very small network.

I monitor it from a RHEL5 box and don't bother with extra packages ...
just use HAL directly and have a small script to notify me of events
... I deal with shutdowns as needed rather than relying on the UPS as
well.

John