Re: K3B not recognizing sony dvd writer

On Nov 13, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Lovell Mcilwain wrote:
Hello all,

I am having an issue where I can't get K3B to see my Sony DVD Writer. When I start it, it promptly tells me that there isn't a writing device
available.

Profile:
System = Dell C800 Laptop
OS = Fedora 7
K3B = 0:1.0.3-2
Sony DVD Writer Model = DRX-810UL
Note: The DVD Writer is connected to the laptop through a very old 5
port hub

I have ran "cdrecord -scanbus" on the command line and got the following
output

scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) *
0,1,0 1) 'TEAC ' 'CD-224E ' '3.7C' Removable CD-ROM

scsibus2:
2,0,0 200) 'SONY ' 'DVD RW DRU-710A ' 'BY01' Removable CD-ROM
2,1,0 201) *

I have also tried 3 other burning programs Gnome CD Creator, GnomeBaker
and Brasero and all of those  gave me errors when trying to burn a
cd/dvd. They recognized the DVD Rom but all gave different errors when
trying to write.

Has anyone run into this type of an issue or can offer some advice?

Dumb question - did you run the k3b configuration option? You may
have to add the device to k3b's list. It will display the list of
devices k3b knows about.
No I didn't run the K3B configuration option, I didn't know such a thing existed. I will try to run it when I get home later tonight and see if that gives me any luck.

coincidentally, i just plugged in my external sony DRU-820A, then
installed k3b on my relatively fresh f8 install, and k3b saw the
device immediately.  so i don't think k3b needs to be "told" about the
device.  at least not on this gateway laptop.

Prior to upgrading to F7 from FC6 I didn't have to tell K3B about this device, it found the device without me needing to do anything.
rday
--
Robert P. J. Day

http://crashcourse.ca