Re: K3B not recognizing sony dvd writer

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Lovell Mcilwain wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am having an issue where I can't get K3B to see my Sony DVD Writer.
> > When I start it, it promptly tells me that there isn't a writing device
> > available.
> >
> > Profile:
> > System = Dell C800 Laptop
> > OS = Fedora 7
> > K3B = 0:1.0.3-2
> > Sony DVD Writer Model = DRX-810UL
> > Note: The DVD Writer is connected to the laptop through a very old 5
> > port hub
> >
> > I have ran "cdrecord -scanbus" on the command line and got the following
> > output
> >
> > scsibus0:
> > 0,0,0 0) *
> > 0,1,0 1) 'TEAC ' 'CD-224E ' '3.7C' Removable CD-ROM
> >
> > scsibus2:
> > 2,0,0 200) 'SONY ' 'DVD RW DRU-710A ' 'BY01' Removable CD-ROM
> > 2,1,0 201) *
> >
> > I have also tried 3 other burning programs Gnome CD Creator, GnomeBaker
> > and Brasero and all of those  gave me errors when trying to burn a
> > cd/dvd.  They recognized the DVD Rom but all gave different errors when
> > trying to write.
> >
> > Has anyone run into this type of an issue or can offer some advice?
> >

> Dumb question - did you run the k3b configuration option? You may
> have to add the device to k3b's list. It will display the list of
> devices k3b knows about.

coincidentally, i just plugged in my external sony DRU-820A, then
installed k3b on my relatively fresh f8 install, and k3b saw the
device immediately.  so i don't think k3b needs to be "told" about the
device.  at least not on this gateway laptop.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca