Re: Fedora lifetime and stability

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 03:39:58PM +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 18:22 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > But just to recompile a new version of an application like sendmail,
> > or a new firefox version, or similar is practical. That is assuming
> > the infrastructure is in place, as it was for Fedora Legacy.
>
> This is about where I expected someone to say, "if Fedora used external
> packages as they were, rather than customising them for Fedora, users
> could simply recompile the latest source, themselves, and it'd work."

Fedora is much better than many distributions from this point of view
isn't it though?  E.g. Ubuntu and SuSe customise things even more.
I went off early RedHat distributions (back in the 90s) because of
wierd customisations, it seems that things have been cleaned up
somewhat since then.

It's one of the reasons that I'm using Fedora.

Until very recently I ran Slackware which has a philosophy of not
changing software *at all* from the default distributed version.
I only changed because I wanted an easier to use update system and
slightly more up to date releases.

My ideal would be sort of "Slackware with yum".  :-)

--
Chris Green