Re: Fedora lifetime and stability

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On Nov 11, 2007 7:48 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
It would be nice if an FC release could be supported for security issues
only for some reasonable length of time, maybe two years from iitial
release?

By whom?

By people concerned to have this available. Fedora Legacy worked, but I think it went back too far (I got updates for RH8 at one time) which makes it too much work. And unlike CentOS it isn't necessary to keep the same version of the software and just fix bugs the way CentOS and RHEL do, just release a version which has the bug fixed. And if that means that there is no compatible version because something has changed, so be it, fix by hand or don't fix, nothing is forever.

But just to recompile a new version of an application like sendmail, or a new firefox version, or similar is practical. That is assuming the infrastructure is in place, as it was for Fedora Legacy.

It just means keeping an old machine (possibly virtual) around to do the build, since the compatibility packages for gcc (3.2 IIRC) are broken and use the gcc 4.x includes with the 3.x compiler.

Does that sound reasonable for resources? The FL stuff would have been great, I would have suggested this when it became obvious that the project was no longer practical, and I could certainly keep a system on an old release if that would be useful as a build playform.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>